Sunday, August 8, 2010

Something New

Let's see. About a year ago I wrote a short but impassioned post about how I was a sucky blogger and was going to try really, really hard to post more . . .
but I didn't.

I didn't write anything for over a year. And I don't really have a good excuse. There have been lots of fun things going on. Great shoots. I moved. I've been hiking all over. Took up a (sort of) new instrument. You know, life.

But I've also paid the price for not being more connected, for not showing all the stupid (and the few not-so-stupid) things I do.

Photography is a funny business. After you've been in it a couple of years, you look around and realize that everybody around you is a great photographer. They all know the gear, the programs, how to set up lights and deal with make-up and craft services and producers and art directors. They all know how to do the job.

So when it comes down to hiring, it really comes down to how much they like you.

By nature I'm a pretty quiet guy. (For those of you reading this who know me, stop laughing. I can hear your cackles from my office.) I'm polite. I make the occasional witty bon mot. But by and large I like to focus on the job, do it with a smile and get out.

But there's a lot more to the job then that, and over this past year I forgot just how important it is.

Still, there's always room for something new, something completely off the beaten track. A new chance to reconnect, to deconstruct, to rebuild. So that's why the new look. And the renewed commitment to stay in touch.

But it's still the same ol' me.

Enjoy this recent picture taken at Ross Lake, WA. It's pretty.

No comments: