Thursday, July 10, 2008

Reshoot? You bet!


There are two words that strike fear in the heart of every photographer: Re Shoot.

It's not just the extra work that makes us crazy, it's the implicit notion that what we shot was not quite good enough. That we failed in our mission to make something beautiful, no matter what was presented to our camera lens.

I hate to say this, but I was recently asked to do a re-shoot. Not because the pictures I provided weren't wonderful, but because I failed to go to the exact place they mentioned in the article.

Yeah, this sucks to say, but I screwed up. So I packed it all up again and shot what I should have shot in the first place. And the stupid thing is . . . the thing that really gets my goat ... if I owned a goat, which I don't . . . is that the second best picture of the bunch was taken during my "reshoot." That's what you're seeing here.

Which is usually the case, when I think about it.
  • You do something once, it's good.
  • Do something again, it's better.
  • Do something a third time and it sucks.
  • But....If you hang on and do it one more time, magical things seem to happen.
If you want to see the best picture of the shoot, you'll just have to check out the September issue of Seattle Magazine.

Until then, I think I'm going to reshoot something I took a year ago.

No comments: